UPDATE: 9/3/17 – This deal seems to have been pulled prior to the 31st March deadline. The page with offer details is still live but the MasterCard Partner Rate no longer appears in the search function. If this is fixed I will update this page again.
This is a deal that gets surprisingly little publicity given how much of a genuine saving it offers.
In conjunction with MasterCard, IHG offer a special partner rate for MasterCard holders for weekend stays. This rate offers 30% off the Best Flexible Rate and while still allowing you to earn elite night credits and points.
WHAT IS IT
– There are actually 2 promotional discounts here. The first is 30% off at all IHG brands except for InterContinental.
– The second is 20% off at InterContinental Hotels. The key point here is that this rate will include breakfast. This could mean a substantial saving indeed, as I will illustrate.
– Stays must be booked 21 days in advance
– Valid in Europe at almost 500 participating properties
– Although technically only valid on Friday/Saturday/Sunday some hotels may make this discount available during the week as well.
– The discount is 20/30% off the Best Flexible Rate but should still present a good saving over the standard Advance Purchase prices.
– Like Advanced Purchase prices these promotional rates are prepaid and non-refundable
– You presumably should have a MasterCard to use these rates but you are not required to pay with it.
HOW DOES IT LOOK IN PRACTICE
I took a look at rates at the Holiday Inn Oxford Circus for a Saturday night stay on the 15th July 2017.
As you can see you would save more than £21 over the standard Advance Purchase price by using the promotional rate.
I then took a look at a night on the same dates at the InterContinental Amstel in Amsterdam. I compared a standard non-refundable rate that includes breakfast with the 20% off MasterCard rate that comes with breakfast.
Here the savings are even more impressive.
In this example you would save more than £42 by using this MasterCard offer discount.
HOW TO BOOK
– You must book by 31st March 2017
– Valid for stays up until 31st December 2017
– You must book via the dedicated booking page
– You will likely need to open another browser to check the regular hotel rates as the search function that displays the promotional rates often refuses to show other rates alongside it.
– The instructions on the IHG website state that you should fill out and print this voucher to present at check-in. It is improbable that you will actually be asked to produce this.