British Airways (BA) have launched a decent looking offer for passengers flying before the end of the year. This promotion allows you to collect double base Avios on every British Airways flight, including flights with a BA flight number on American Airlines, Finnair and Iberia.
Even the cheapest non-refundable/sale tickets are eligible.
Simply register, book and travel by 31 December 2017 to collect double Avios.
How generous is this offer?
You can get an idea of how lucrative this offer is for you by using the Avios and Tier point calculator on ba.com.
Take a return journey to San Fransisco in Premium Economy for example:
As you can see the calculator indicates that you would earn 5358 Avios each way if booked as a Blue member on an ordinary (non-flex) Premium Economy ticket.
Under this bonus you would be looking at:
Regular Avios – 5358 x 2 = 10,716 Avios
Bonus Avios – 5358 x 2 = 10,716
For a total of 21,432 Avios. That’s a decent little return.
How to register
There are several important points to be aware of for this promotion:
Eligible participants must:
- Pre-register for the offer using this link and then
- Book and fly up to (and including) 31 December 2017. Double Avios will be awarded on the first 8 flight sectors. A sector is a single qualifying flight between the point of departure and final destination with no scheduled change of aircraft.
- Offer is open to Executive Club members in all countries, except USA, Canada, Mexico and South Africa.
- Eligible participants who book and complete their journeys on qualifying flights within the promotional period will qualify for a double Avios bonus based on base miles. In other words, Bronze, Silver and Gold members who generally receive bonus Avios based on their tier, won’t have those bonuses doubled as well.
- Eligible participants will receive double Avios on all tickets except reward flights.
Maximising this bonus
If you are someone who flies regularly with BA, American, Finnair or Iberia you have some calculations to make. Remember that you will only earn double Avios on your first eight sectors after registering.
For example, say you have three short-haul trips to Europe in Euro Traveller followed a couple of long-haul flights to the US or Asia in Club World during the promotion period. You want to make sure your BA number is NOT on all of the short-haul bookings to avoid exceeding your ‘eight sectors allowance’ too early on. Double Avios is naturally far more valuable on long-haul business class flights rather than short-haul Economy trips.
I’m glad to see that BA has brought back this promotion. While not quite as good as the triple Avios version that ran in the early part of this year, this bonus is a nice extra especially if you have work trips scheduled.
Depending on your route and class of travel, you may want to do the maths on who you are best off flying with or at least which program you choose to credit your flight to, for the next couple of months.