EDIT: This deal has now expired. Assuming the Avios post as they should in the next couple of weeks, I’ll be looking at the best ways to use your newly acquired Iberia Avios.
Late last week Iberia launched what looks to be one of the most lucrative publicly available Avios offers I’ve ever seen.
Here’s the deal:
Get 9,000 Avios per ticket booked to any destination in any class on ibera.com by the end of today – 24th June!
When I first came across this offer I thought the chances of it being honoured were slim. It sounded way too generous to be true. So I resisted the urge to write about it.
But Iberia has since reiterated that this is a genuine promotion. So I’m dashing off a quick Sunday morning post so that readers can still get in on this deal before it ends TONIGHT.
Here’s what you must know before booking
Let’s first get the key points of the promotion clear:
- You can earn a maximum of 90,000 Avios (i.e. 10 bookings) per Iberia Plus account
- One-way flights do count
- Flights must be operated by Iberia, Iberia Express or Air Nostrum
- Bonus Avios will be awarded within 10 days of purchasing your flight(s)
- You must spend your bonus Avios by 1st December – this is the last date for bookings – you can travel after that date.
- You must book directly on iberia.com
- You must input your Iberia Plus number when booking
- Iberia has confirmed that if you will still keep the bonus Avios even if you don’t actually take the flights
I would highlight two points:
- There’s nothing in the T&Cs to suggest new Iberia Plus accounts are not eligible for this promotion too, although that would have been a sensible restriction to put in place. Then again there’s nothing sensible about this promotion at all 🙂
I’m sure plenty of people have opened new Iberia Plus accounts just to jump in on this offer so you certainly won’t be alone if you do so.
- If you don’t plan on actually taking the flights that you book today, consider making those bookings after the 1st December deadline to spend the Avios. While Iberia has said that they won’t withdraw the bonus Avios even if you don’t take your booked flights, it makes sense to err on the side of caution.
Per the T&C’s on the website, the only circumstances in which you won’t receive the Avios is if you actually cancel your flight booking.
All bookings must be made by tonight – 24th June 2018
I wouldn’t wait until midnight UK time to book, assume this offer will close at midnight local time – 11pm BST.
How and what to book
These tickets must be booked directly on the Iberia website.
As the bonus is per flight, you’ll want to look for the cheapest one-way flights possible.
At the time of writing, I was seeing £22 flights from Santander to Madrid:
And £26 flights from Madrid to Palma:
This deal, assuming all the Avios are awarded promptly and correctly is frankly amazing. Ben at onemileatatime termed it the “airline promotion of the year”.
Even allowing for a cost of £30 per flight – easily achievable – you would be effectively buying 90,000 Avios at 0.33p per Avios. Superb.
And the fact that Iberia has confirmed that customers don’t need to fly the purchased tickets in order to keep their bonus Avios is nothing short of remarkable.
Will there be heads rolling in the Iberia marketing team tomorrow morning – who knows?
Either way, if you can spare 30 minutes of your Sunday, 90,000 Avios per person are there for the taking.
Let me know in the comments if you have any questions about booking this deal and I’ll do my best to help out
Header image credit: Vytautas Kielaitis / Shutterstock.com